The New York City Metro Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, an affiliate chapter of the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID), is a non-profit, non-partisan organization of interpreters, Deaf community members and allies. Members work together to ensure that high-quality American Sign Language-English interpretation services are provided with the utmost integrity and respect.
Collaboratively, we shall accomplish this by committing to:
- Uphold the dignity and purity of American Sign Language and maintain an understanding of advancements in our field
- Foster respect, community relationships, and competence of cross-cultural interactions in the cultural melting pot that makes New York City unique
- Encourage and support interpreters in achieving and maintaining national certification
- Promote and comply with the RID/ NAD Code of Professional Conduct for interpreters and transliterators
- Serve as a resource to the New York City community regarding interpreter roles, services, and the field of interpreting
- Lobby the New York state legislature and local government agencies on issues that affect Deaf rights and the sign language interpreting profession
- Partner with equitable organizations that reflect the values described in the Standard Practice Paper for Professional Sign Language Interpreting Agencies.